NEW YORK STATE AFL-CIO FIELD COORDINATOR (Hudson Valley Area Labor Federation Region)
The New York State AFL-CIO is seeking a Field Coordinator to service the Hudson Valley Area Labor Federation territory.
This position is the backbone of the Hudson Valley union movement, implementing the programmatic work of the Area Labor Federation and their affiliates. Coordinating with affiliates from all sectors - public, private and building trades - is a must to ensure success and win victories for working people.
The position requires residency in Columbia, Dutchess, Greene, Orange, Rockland, Sullivan or Ulster County with daily reporting duties to the Hudson Valley Area Labor Federation office located at 5 Stone Castle Rd, Rock Tavern, NY 12575. The annual salary range is $65-$75k with generous retirement, healthcare, and insurance benefits offered.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com, please include a cover letter and writing sample. Applications due by June 30, 2023.
NEW YORK STATE AFL-CIO FIELD COORDINATOR
(Hudson Valley Area Labor Federation Region)
JOB DESCRIPTION: Lead and execute organizing efforts, campaign work, leadership recruitment and development, training sessions, communications, and other related tasks. Work closely with elected affiliate leaders. This position is under the direct employment and supervision of the New York State AFL-CIO President and their designees, assigned to service the Hudson Valley Area Labor Federation leaders and affiliates.
- Represent the Hudson Valley ALF at affiliate meetings, CLC meetings, and other events as directed in a professional and courteous manner.
- Coordinate the resources and services provided in the assigned area in the most efficient, economical, and effective manner possible.
- Assist in growing the union movement through the Union Strong outreach campaign.
- Manage, create, and execute a communication strategy that includes emails, social media posts, app content, text messages, and website content.
- Coordinate with the Central Labor Councils.
- Office management responsibilities including office supply orders, cleaning, organization, and scheduling the use of the office, conference room, and equipment by affiliates.
- Prepare bills and vouchers for officers to sign for office expenses, events, donations, etc.
- Provide documentation and support for the annual financial review of the ALF
- Collect information and prepare the National AFL-CIO Annual Report for the ALF and CLCs.
- Create emails weekly informing delegates of upcoming events and organizing efforts.
- Coordinate Local Legislative conferences and Lobby Delegations.
- Keep the ALF Executive Council informed of National and State AFL-CIO webinars, legislative fights, and relevant movements.
- Provide administrative support related to ALF Executive Board meetings and annual meetings.
- Prepare quarterly per capita bills for affiliates of the Area Labor Federation, and ensure electronic and paper file record keeping.
- Assist affiliates in researching potential organizing targets and provide support to organizing drives.
- Create strategic campaign plans and ensure that partner plans are appropriate for meeting shared goals. Work planning should include resource and staff needs, as well as operational activities.
- Work with political campaigns at the direction of leadership to secure questionnaires, conduct interviews, and elect labor-endorsed candidates.
- Participate in campaign activities and organizing assignments.
- Direct community recruitment and interaction activities at the direction of leadership.
- Develop and implement relevant training sessions and activities.
REQUIREMENTS: Education & Experience: A bachelor’s degree is preferred but not required. Minimum (2) years of union or campaign/work with experience demonstrating advancement, or an equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Demonstrable knowledge of digital communications best practices and abilities.
- Knowledge of union and campaign organizing practices and principles.
- Knowledge of labor laws, especially with respect to union organizing and representation.
- Knowledge of AFL-CIO internal structure and experience in working with structured bodies.
- Ability to conduct research and gather information to evaluate targets, develop strategies, and formulate conclusions.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to lead, train and coordinate experienced organizing staff, volunteer organizers, and committee members.
- Ability to work effectively with labor council leaders and local union staff.
- Ability to interpret instructions and solve problems quickly.
- Leadership and motivational skills.
- Oral and written communication skills, including excellent “one-on-one” interpersonal communications.
Travel & Work Hours:
- Work is performed in a variety of employment settings including workers’ homes and neighborhoods. Driving, travel, temporary assignments, and extended work hours are required.
- Vehicle and valid driver’s license required.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity
The New York State AFL-CIO is an equal-opportunity employer, and actively seeks to build diversity among officers, and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, LGBTQ, veterans, and disabled candidates are encouraged to apply.